Clear Counter Top Epoxy Resin by Smooth-On
- Product name: Tarbender®.
- UV resistant clear liquid epoxy that creates an impact resistant high gloss coating.
- Only for thin layer applications such as bar counters and table tops.
General points for all resin work
These are not detailed instruction. You should download and read the User Instructions as a PDF from this webpage before purchasing. A copy will also be included with your order. If you print it yourself from this web page it will be in easy to read large print size.
- Onto wooden counters (e.g. bar counters).
- Used in resin art where various pigments are added and effects created.
- Over photos, paper and fabric as in decoupage art. Paper should be glued down and sealed first.
- To encapsulating 3 dimensional objects.
- It does not yellow easily. But be aware that most resins, including this one, do eventually discolour somewhat.
Not very prone to amine blush but if this does occur take required steps to remove it.
- The lower tendency to amine blush is due to the fast curing time.
- If amine blush does occur (most likely in cold moist conditions) then the cured surface must be washed with soap and water then sanded and washed again before adding another resin layer. We recommend that you read our PDF document on amine blush.
- This allows it to be spread in a controlled way over surfaces without excess uncontrolled run-off. Once spread fairly evenly it will self-level to form a smooth glossy finish. There is thus no need to build sides around counter tops that you want to coat.
- The fact that it is viscous leads to air entrainment problems so it should only be applied in thin layers (recommended layer thickness is 1.6mm). Torching after application is important to remove air.
- This gives obvious benefits and is essential in thin layer applications as thin layers of slow curing resin would take days to harden at lower temperatures. Fast curing also reduces the tendency for amine blush development.
- There are two downsides of fast curing: The pot life is short making it hard to mix and use large quantities at one time. Fast curing makes it hard to remove air and this limits the resin to thin layer applications.
Surfaces onto which this epoxy resin can be applied
- Never apply resin onto oily surfaces. Do not apply over oil based paints or varnishes.
- This resin can be applied as a gloss coating over water based paints and varnishes.
- If oils such as silicone oil or Turbo Cell have been added to acrylic paints to create cells in artworks then let the artwork dry for at least 3 weeks (this time depends on the paints used and drying conditions) and then remove all surface oil. Sometimes cleaning with mild soap and water is adequate but cleaning the art work surface with rubbing alcohol is best. Follow this by cleaning with mild soap and water.
- This resin can be applied over wood, plaster, cement/concrete, stone, marble, foam, fabric etc as well as over surfaces painted with acrylic paints. It may de-laminate from plastic surfaces.
1.41kg (1.29 litres)
7.05kg (6.47 litres)