Liquid Colourants for Water Based Paints
About these paint colourants
- These colourants are all Lightfast Pigments suspended in a liquid carrier medium. They are not dyes and are not used for dying fabric (dyes are dissolved compounds, these are pigments that do not dissolve).
- These liquid colourants are fine dispersed pigments that are added into water based paints to colour them. They are not suitable for addition into oil/solvent based paints and are also not recommended for addition into resins (we have a separate liquid colourant range for resins).
- These colourants are all Lightfast Pigments suspended in a liquid carrier medium.
- Ultra-high concentration. The concentration of each colourant is shown. This is the pigment mass as a % of the total mass of liquid colourant. These are about 20 times more concentrated than little bottles of liquid colourants available in hardware stores. As the percentage is based on pigment mass vs. total colourant mass it follows that heavy (more dense) pigments generally have a higher % concentration than low density pigments. A low %, therefore, does not indicate a lower quality.
- In paints the colour will darken as more Liquid Colourant is added. You can only achieve bright or deep colours by adding these Liquid Colourants to a clear base paint and not into a white paint. Adding red colourant to white paint for example will always give pink and not red.
One Million Colours
A good human eye can distinguish about 1 million colours (I never measured this myself). Another way to consider this is that when any colour changes by about 1-2% then people can start to notice a difference. Colour measurement is a complex subject on its own that we won't deal with here.
How to get as many colours as you want when you want
- Easily incorporated into water based paint by stirring or mixing. They are easier to incorporate than dry powder colourants.
- All are highly Light-Fast (non-fading) and thus for exterior use.
- The Titanium Super White is very useful as colours can be lightened and hiding power (opacity) can be increased with it.
- Paint viscosity (thickness) will drop somewhat when some of the liquid colourants are added so bear this in mind.
Accuracy and Repeatability
Handling and Storage - Important Notes
Titanium Super White (70%)
Carbon Black (10%)
Carbon Black (30%)
Yellow Oxide (60%)
Azo Yellow (37%)
Bismuth Yellow (60%)
Red Oxide (70%)
Pyrrol Red (50%)
Phthalo Blue (49%)
Phthalo Green (45%)
Orange Oxide (54%)
Pyrrol Orange (35%)
Maroon Oxide (65%)
Quinacridone Maroon (20%)
Quinacridone Magenta (25%)
Dioxazine Violet (40%)
Ultra High Strength Magenta
Ultra High Strength White (XWK)
Ultra High Strength White
Phthalo Green (11%)