Colour Transition Paint: Blue to Mauve
From R 118.00
- Also called Chameleon, Colour Shift or Mother-of-pearl Paint.
- Iridescent translucent acrylic paint that changes colour as viewing angle changes.
Colour Transition: Blue to Mauve
Colours and effects
The colour of this paint changes from Blue to Mauve as the viewing angle changes. Shades of Silver, Purple and Violet can also be observed at various angles. The colours are very characteristic of mother-of-pearl so this paint can be used to create mother-of-pearl effects.
It is translucent so the background colour will always influence the final appearance. This paint shows the most colour, largest shift in colours and greatest number of colours when painted over a black surface. It shows the least effect when painted over pure white.
We have not manufactured this paint specifically as a top coat but in a way it is a top coat as the colours under it influence the final appearance.
Technical video demonstrating our three Colour Transition Paints: Watch
- Create your acrylic artwork including some black. Once sufficiently dry, use a paint brush to apply this paint over black areas to achieve awesome iridescent colour shift effects.
- Use it as a paint in acrylic pours to achieve iridescent mother-of-pearl and colour shifting effects. Most effective using Dutch Pour technique.
- Perfect for cupboard doors. Paint these with a sheen black such as our Arts & Crafts Black and then apply this Colour Shift paint over the black. You will see these change colour as they open and close.
- Paint your table top with a sheen black and apply this Colour Transition paint over the black. Place a sheet of glass or even a layer of clear resin over the paint once it has dried for a few days.
- Paint your table top with a sheen black and apply this Colour Transition paint over the black. The wall will appear different colours along its length.
This is a special effect paint that reflects and refracts light in unique ways to generate a range of visible colours. The underlying colour and texture of a surface will influence the visual appearance. This paint creates creative opportunities that were previously not available but we suggest that you test and practice the effect before embarking on a critical project. Although you can apply more than one coat you should not attempt to hide the background colour completely as the paint is intentionally translucent.
Do not pour it onto artwork, it should be applied with paint brush, roller or foam roller.
Comparing all our Colour Transition Paints
Fuchsia to Gold: This paint has good opacity and thus gives a similar effect over black, white and colours. With 2-3 coats it can completely hide the colours underneath it.
Silver Green to Burgundy: This paint is semi-translucent and the effect it gives is dependent on the colour it is painted over. It gives a good effect over all colours but strongest effect over black.
Blue to Mauve: This paint is translucent and its effect is highly dependent on the colour it is painted over. It has a strong colour effect on black and very weak colour effect on white. Excellent for mother-of-pearl effects.
UV Resistant Pure Acrylic
For Interior and Exterior use - the pearl colour transition effect is not damaged by UV light.
Stain Resistant Satin finish
Keep out of reach of children
All our products should be kept out of reach of children under 5 years and anybody who may tend to place items or liquids in their mouths should be supervised. Even packing can become a choking hazard.